Assalamualaikum warahamtullahiwabarokatuh. Good morning, everyone. Today we are going to talk about INTRODUCING A NEW PRODUCT AND MAKING A COMPARISON.
Before we begin, I’d like to ask you some questions.
You can refer to the sample answer:
Without looking at the video script, please complete some missing words.
Advertisements are beneficial tools to _____________ products from mini markets or online stores, so they must be well _____________ before the launching.
It is necessary for both the _____________ and the customers to compare a new product. The seller’s concern is to persuade customers to choose which product is suitable compared to the previous models or the competitors’ products. Whereas the customers also need to look at some _____________ or testimonies in order to be able to compare similar products being offered.
Please complete the blanks. Do you have the same answers with a classmate next to you? Compare your answers with your partner and then watch the video to confirm by watching the following video:
Here are the vocabulary and expressions that you can use to talk about INTRODUCING A NEW PRODUCT AND MAKING A COMPARISON.
1. ______________ are beneficial tools to introduce new products from mini ______________ or online stores, so they must be well prepared before the launching.
2. The seller’s concern is to persuade customers to ______________ which product is suitable compared to the previous ______________ or the competitors’ products.
3. Whereas the customers also need to look at some reviews or ______________ in order to be able to compare ______________ products being offered.
4. The advertisements involve various activities, such as concerts given by ______________, promotion of well-known ______________ with a celebrity coming to the opening ceremony, or charity programs.
5. In fact, there is always a ______________ to get a good deal and discounts as there are various ______________ programs on the advertisements online.
6. I may opt for McDonald’s over Wendy’s and vice ______________ depending on the current information on the advertisements that ______________ me more benefits.
7. Advertisements on the streets can make the ______________ more colorful and modern, but they can ______________ drivers’ attention too.
8. It is ridiculous when advertisements are indirectly ______________ to make us believe that turning luxuries into necessities is part of modern life ______________.
Interview a friend with the following questions:
After finishing your interview, watch the sample interview and complete the missing blanks without looking at the video script. However, you may read some parts of the video script only when you find difficulties:
1. Do you think advertisements important to launch a new product?
I like advertisements and we ___________ them because they contain information for customers like us. The advertisements ___________ various activities, such as concerts given by singers, promotion of well-known brands with a celebrity coming to the opening ___________, or charity programs.
2. Do you need to share information when there is a new interesting product?
Well, it depends. In fact, there is always a chance to ___________ a good deal and discounts as there are various promotion ___________ on the advertisements online. Sometimes, I visit a website and recommend it to my fellow when he really ___________ it.
3. Do you sometimes compare products?
Yes, I do. For example, McDonald’s is a world-famous restaurant and their ___________ are part of that reason, but I compare the menus with Wendy’s fast-food restaurant. I may opt for McDonald’s over Wendy’s and vice versa ___________ on the current information on the advertisements that give me more ___________.
4. What do you think about advertisements with big screens on the street?
In my view, they show all kinds of advertisements and occasionally, we can also see ___________ and other programs on them. Advertisements on the streets can make the cities more ___________ and modern, but they can distract drivers’ attention too. As long they are well managed and the numbers are ___________, they won’t be a nuisance.
5. How do advertisements influence people’s behaviors?
That is true. It is ridiculous when advertisements are ___________ trying to make us believe that turning luxuries into necessities is ___________ of modern life style. However, it is fine if we can control our spending based on our priority, not on the basis of what is attractive in ___________.
Switch the role and make an interview again, but you can adjust or add the questions.
As you have finished making an interview, make a report of the interview result. Make some notes to prepare, and below are the examples. Watch a sample of reporting the result of an interview, when necessary, by watching the following video.
Watch a video clip and discuss the questions that follow. Neither look at the video script nor read the sample answers. However, you may replay or pause the video. You can also watch some vocabulary practices in this link when you need it.
1. How did people compare prices before the internet era?
They would wander from shop to shop ________ for products, comparing features, quality, price, ________ name and more before ________ upon a purchase.
2. What makes smart consumers on the rise?
With all the ________ available literally at the tips of their fingers, consumers still ________ in product comparisons to make their ________ decisions.
3. Which product rarely needs comparison?
A consumer ________ compares products by doing extensive ________ before buying ________.
4. What does a business owner know?
A ________ owner has to understand various consumer ________ habits so that you can strategize to increase visibility with these consumers who are ________ searching for sellers.
5. Why does the speaker mention Angie’s List, Quora, Trustpilot?
Because these are ________ review sites and ________ where consumers review products as well as ________.
Compare your answers in groups. Check your answers by completing some missing words. You can turn to complete sample answers only when you think it is too difficult.
Help yourselves with extra vocabulary and useful expressions resources plus answers. Play, pause, or replay only when you think you need them. Add extra vocabulary or write useful expressions to prepare the project, and you may discuss the vocabulary only when you find difficulties with the meaning.
You can click the link below for extra vocabulary and useful expressions resources:
However, you can skip this activity when you have sufficient vocabulary and useful expressions to develop your project, which can be a monolog, an interview, a conversation, or role-play.