Assalamualaikum warahamtullahiwabarokatuh. Good morning, everyone. Today we are going to talk about PROMOTING INDONESIAN TOURISM.
Before we begin, I’d like to ask you some questions.
You can refer to the sample answer:
Without looking at the video script, please complete some missing words.
1. What do you know about Indonesian culture?
Indonesian culture has many _________ forms, such as traditional dances, batik painting, language, rituals, traditional markets, traditional buildings, food, traditions, etc. For example, being polite is our tradition, so it is Indonesian _________. Gamelan is a traditional music _________, so it is our culture too.
2. Will you promote Indonesia through its culture?
Of course, I will. Foreign people feel comfortable when they _________ Indonesian, but we can introduce more culture to make them enjoy their visit. They need to know our unique cuisines, _________ as rendang or gado-gado. They also need to come to traditional markets or visit art galleries to appreciate more about Indonesia. There are so many things to _________ to foreign tourists coming to our beautiful country.
Please complete the blanks. Do you have the same answers with a classmate next to you? Compare your answers with your partner and then watch the video to confirm by watching the following video:
1. First, what is the most famous Indonesian ________ worth offering to ________ tourists?
2. Indonesian wayang is a flat image ________ from leather manipulated by puppeteers between a bright ________ and a translucent screen, when on the other side of which sits the audience.
3. The puppet stories have been modified not only to ________ about traditional Javanese stories, but also to talk about Indonesian ________ of independence, education and traditional humours.
4. The gigantic architectural ________ of the historical buildings are marvellous that make foreign visitors ________.
5. For sure it is going to be fantastic while enjoying the beauty of ________, foreign visitors can eat in traditional restaurants close to ________ fields and purchase Indonesian souvenirs at local art galleries before leaving our country.
Interview a friend with the following questions:
After finishing your interview, watch the sample interview and complete the missing blanks without looking at the video script. However, you may read some parts of the video script only when you find difficulties:
I’d like more and more _____________ people know about Indonesian puppet, wayang. Indonesian wayang is a _____________ image made from leather manipulated by puppeteers _____________ a bright light and a translucent screen, when on the other side of which sits the audience.
2. Why can wayang promote Indonesia?
It is unique, and it can be _____________ as media of education and entertainment. The puppet stories have been _____________ not only to talk about traditional Javanese stories, but also to talk about Indonesian struggle of independence, _____________ and traditional humors.
3. Can historical buildings promote tourism?
Yes, definitely. For instance, Borobudur is the Buddhist _____________ categorized into one of seven wonders in the world because it is the biggest and magnificent. The _____________ architectural structures are _____________ that make foreign visitors amazed.
4. What else can you offer to foreign tourists?
It is not fair if we _____________ too much on places that are already famous in the city _____________. Therefore, they can go to traditional villages in _____________ areas.
5. Why do you think such places worth visiting?
Well, there are several things to consider, because first of all the places are _____________ and free from pollution. There are also many villages in Indonesia that _____________ handicrafts, traditional woven fabrics or kain tenun, batik, silverware, traditional paintings, etc. For sure it is going to be fantastic while enjoying the beauty of nature, foreign visitors can eat in traditional restaurants close to terrace fields and purchase Indonesian _____________ at local art galleries before leaving our country.
Switch the role and make an interview again, but you can adjust or add the questions.
As you have finished making an interview, make a report of the interview result. Make some notes to prepare, and below are the examples. Watch a sample of reporting the result of an interview, when necessary, by watching the following video.
Watch a video clip and discuss the questions that follow. Neither look at the video script nor read the sample answers. However, you may replay or pause the video. You can also watch some vocabulary practices in this link when you need it.
Compare your answers in groups. Check your answers by completing some missing words. You can turn to complete sample answers only when you think it is too difficult.
1. Why do the advantages of tourism industry bring economic benefits to Indonesia?
Tourism plays an __________ role in the contribution of Indonesia’s __________ domestic product, which is around 4.3%.
2. How many precents were the decrease in visiting Indonesia due to pandemic?
75% of foreign tourist __________ had __________.
3. According to the speaker, what are five super priority destinations?
They are are __________ Toba in North Sumatra, Borobudur Temple in Central Java, Mandalika in West Nusa Tenggara, Labuan Bajo in East Nusa Tenggara, and Likupang in __________ Sulawesi.
4. How does Hans define public diplomacy?
Hans defines public diplomacy as a government’s __________ process of engaging with foreign publics in order to increase understanding of its country’s concepts and principles, institutions and cultures, as well as national __________ and policies.
5. What is another Indonesia’s national interest?
__________ recovery in tourism industry which is not only __________ in Bali.
Help yourselves with extra vocabulary and useful expressions resources plus answers. Play, pause, or replay only when you think you need them. Add extra vocabulary or write useful expressions to prepare the project, and you may discuss the vocabulary only when you find difficulties with the meaning.
You can click the link below for extra vocabulary and useful expressions resources:
However, you can skip this activity when you have sufficient vocabulary and useful expressions to develop your project, which can be a monolog, an interview, a conversation, or role-play.